Terms and conditions
Delivery and collection terms:
On delivery after the storage period, it is the responsibility of the customer to check the contents of the item/box for any form of damage immediately after receiving the box from thebigspace delivery team. If damage has occurred, this must be shown to thebigspace delivery team BEFORE they leave the customer's address. We cannot accept any responsibility for damage that is reported after thebigspace delivery team has left the address.
On collection of the items to be stored, full payment of storage costs must be made to TheBigSpace. This must be made in the form of cash (sterling only), card details or a cheque. Failure to do this will result in thebigspace reserving the right to not collect the items until full payment is made. A charge of 20% of the total order cost may be made against the customer, where the customer is deemed to be at fault, and this will be added to the total cost. If the customer arranges delivery, and then the delivery team are unable to deliver, TheBigSpace reserves the right to add a 20% charge for a re-delivery.
Where we deliver:
We will return items to the customer to their new address, as long as it is within a reasonable distance from their previous address, and still within the town/city boundaries. We define a reasonable distance as approximately 7 miles from the previous address in a city, or 4 miles from the previous address if in a town. If you are outside these boundaries, please e-mail us to inform us of this, and we will discuss the issue with you, although we reserve the right to charge a fee reflecting our costs for delivering the items.
We are generally unable to provide early delivery for any customer, due to the logistics of our stored items and that we may be operating in another area. We suggest that you contact us by e-mail and we will tell you if it is possible. If it is, the customer will be charged a fee that reflects our administration costs in organising the return of the goods at an earlier date, and the customer will not be refunded for any unused storage time that they may have already paid for.
Without cleared payment in full, the goods cannot be returned to the customer. This includes any re-delivery/administration fee for the organising of an early delivery.
If a customer wishes to have their items delivered after the designated delivery dates, or fails to book delivery of their items before the last delivery is made, they will be charged 4 times the amount they were previously paying per week for storage, plus a reasonable charge to reflect our costs in organising the re-delivery of the items to the customer.
For example, if the customer was previously paying £7 per week for their storage, they would now be charged £28 per week, plus a reasonable delivery charge. The amount chargeable will be calculated daily and added to the final customer bill. Also, the items will be no longer insured, and any claims will not be considered. Please note that the items will also need to be shipped by a courier, and the costs of this will be passed to the customer.
Non-Collection of items
If a customer should not re-book their delivery of their items back to themselves, using www.thebigspace.co.uk before the final delivery date in that area, the items in storage will fall under the terms specificed in the Late Delivery section.
Our Rights to sell-off Goods to recover payment
In default of Prompt Payment of Your Debt, We shall be entitled to:-
- keep hold of some or all of Your Goods until We have received payment in full of all the charges You owe Us and You shall pay Us fees and charges at the same rates as under this Agreement or if this Agreement has been terminated at the rate payable immediately prior to termination. If You pay Us by cheque, We shall not be considered to have received payment, until the cheque has been paid by Your bank; or
- exercise immediately the rights described below and sell such of Your Goods as is necessary for Us to recover payment of Your Debt in full.
- If We decide to exercise either of Our rights set out in the condition above, You authorise Us:-
- to refuse You and Your agents access to the Goods and our Site; and
- to ultimately dispose of some or all of the Goods in accordance with the condition below
- We will sell the Goods by the best method(s) reasonably available to achieve the best selling price reasonably obtainable in the open market, taking into account the costs of sale and administrative charges relating to the debt collection and auction / disposal of Your Goods.
- We will use the proceeds of the sale to pay first the costs incurred by Us in the sale of the Goods, administration costs etc.
- Any balance will be held for You. Interest will not accrue to You on the balance.
- If the proceeds of sale are insufficient to discharge the costs of sale incurred by Us and Your Debt without deduction, You must pay any balance outstanding to Us within seven days of a written demand from Us which will set out the balance remaining due to Us after the net proceeds of sale have been credited to You. Interest will continue to accrue on the balance of Your Debt until it has been paid in full.
- If the Goods cannot be sold for a reasonable price or at all (for any reason whatsoever), or despite Our efforts they remain unsold, You authorise Us to treat them as abandoned by You and to destroy or otherwise dispose of them at Your cost.
Items we cannot store:
We regret that for insurance and safety reasons, we are unable to store any of the following items:
- Gas cylinders. Deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable, and poisonous gases such as butane, oxygen, propane, and aqualung cylinders. Includes butane gas (eg for use with heated hair appliances) camping gas, and chef's blow torches.
- Flammable liquids and solids such as lighter or heater fuels, paint, and matches.
- Poisons such as insecticides, weed killers, arsenic, and cyanide.
- Radioactive material, oxidising materials, and organic peroxides such as bleaches and fibreglass repair kits.
- Firearms and explosives. Handguns, automatic weapons, munitions, ammunitions including blank cartridges, pistol caps, fireworks, flares, smoke canisters, and crackers.
- Infectious substances such as bacteria and viruses.
- Corrosives such as mercury, acids, alkalis, and wet-cell batteries.
- Animals, alive or dead.
- Any form of liquid, or containers with liquid(s) inside, unless they are completely wrapped and sealed in non-porous plastic, and have been checked by a member of thebigspace staff. This includes printer cartridges.
Each item stored by thebigspace is insured for a maximum of £100. Should you wish to take out further insurance cover, this is available and can be specified when booking. We are prepared to store, but cannot insure the following items:
- Electronic equipment not in its original packaging or other professional packaging. This applies to computers, monitors, stereo equipment, televisions, and ALL other electronic equipment.
- Jewellery, coins, and collectables.
- Damage to electronic equipment if there is no evidence of physical damage to the packaging container.
- Items of sentimental or intangible value.
- Extremely fragile items (e.g. mirrors, picture frames, crockery).
- Improperly packed items (See our Suggested Packing Tips).
- Unpacked items, including furniture that is not wrapped and protected.
A member of thebigspace collection team will advise customers if there is likely to be a problem with what they are storing at the time of collection. Items can be refused to be collected by thebigspace collection team, and it is at their personal discretion whether to accept an item or not for storage.
After the designated delivery dates are over, and the customer has not taken delivery of their items, we regret that no items will be covered under the insurance policy, and no claims will be considered for any items.